Legionella is a bacteria that contaminates water and if inhaled can cause legionnaires disease which is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia. Any man-made water systems are likely to provide an environment where Legionella can grow. This is why undertaking a Legionella risk assessment and Legionella awareness training are imperative to identify, prevent and control risks.
Wurkplace offers a RoSPA approved online Legionella awareness course consisting of 6 modules:
- What is Legionella?
- Risk areas
- Risk management
- Water system monitoring
- Cooling system awareness
Employers and landlords (commercial and residential) are responsible for health and safety including reducing the risk of Legionella exposure. You need to decide where you are competent enough to carry out a general or legionella risk assessment, or whether you should enlist the help of an external source.
If at any point you identify a risk that cannot be prevented, you must create and implement control measures.
This should entail:
- A schematic diagram of your water system
- A named responsible person for assessing and implementing
- The safe and correct operation of your system
- The control measures – Methods and precautions
- What the checks are, how often they happen and how to ensure measures are effective
Suggested control measures for Legionella:
- Make sure that there is proper control over the release of water spray
- Ensure growth temperatures in water are avoided
- Keep pipe lengths as short as possible as to avoid water sitting and stagnating
- Ensure system and water cleanliness
- Use water treatments to fight against Legionella
- Select responsible people to take a Legionella awareness course so they know what to watch out for
If you have 5 or more employees it is your legal duty to keep a record of any findings. If you have less than 5 staff it is not imperative but it is best practice.
Records should include:
- Person responsible for conducting risk assessments
- Significant findings
- Plan for control and implementation
- State of operation
- Results of any monitoring inspection, test or check – including the date of inspection
Wurkplace’s online Legionella awareness training courses are £65 + VAT. There is a free trial option so you can try before you buy and if you do decide to buy, there are bulk discounts available. Find out more here.
An experienced Director who controls and oversee all business operations, people and ventures. Responsible for the overall success of the business.
As a leader, he is able to steer a company to the most profitable direction while also implementing its vision, mission and long term goals. Additionally, he has strong crisis management skills to “save” companies in times of need.