Keeping up to date with ‘Employment Law’ can be a minefield! Information can be published in many different places including gov.uk, ACAS, HMRC and as case law from Employment Tribunals and you can come across many myths and falsehoods.
The risk of not keeping up to date can result in a myriad of claims with varying levels of compensation and risk to your company.
For example, there are the usual increases in the National Minimum Wage coming into effect in April 2021. Did you know, however, that this year the changes include the lowering of the age of recipients of the National Living Wage from aged 25 or over to aged 23 or over?
If you were unaware of this, you could be in a position where you pay less than the National Living Wage to an employee. The result of this includes investigation by HMRC resulting in repayment and a financial penalty. The employee can bring their own claim for unlawful deduction of wages or breach of contract.
There are at least 6 key changes in 2021, how many are you aware of and what do these mean to your organisation?
- New immigration law
- End of furlough scheme
- The return of gender pay gap reporting
- New IR35 requirements
- Extended Redundancy Protection for pregnant employees
- Increase to the minimum wage and other statutory rates
So, how do you keep up to date with these changes?
- Research on the internet … however, be mindful of the accuracy of posts and dates as there is a lot of out-of-date information out there!
- Sign up to a regular newsletter or Employment Law bulletin from an HR / Employment Law expert
- Attend (virtual) webinars and seminars on hot topics
- Find a reputable HR Consultancy to work with you on ensuring that you are up to date and compliant in all your HR documentation…
Here at Wurkplace, it is our job to keep on top of these changes and advise our clients of the implications so that they can focus on operating their business.
Our team investigate and review changes. We make sure that our clients receive the updates that they need to stay legislatively compliant.
We regularly review our employee handbooks, contracts, and letter templates to include changes.
Our updates are sent as Newsletters, Employment Law Updates, and regular Covid-19 employment updates. We publish blogs and updates on our LinkedIn page:
You can also join us virtually on our regular webinars and catch up on our previous topics on our website.
If you would like to receive our Newsletter, you are one click away! Click into our website https://wurkplace.co.uk/ and scroll down and add your details.
If you are interested in any of the above services and want to talk to us about how we can take the risk out of your business, please get in touch at the website or on 0330 400 5490.